Friday, April 29, 2005

Summer Sweater-along

I think May and June will be known as my Blue Period. I'm working (still working, slowly working) on Bill's OXO Gansey in deep blue denim. I have about 5 inches of sleeves for Cotton Candy completed in a lovely light blue and ecru - I have maybe another 7 inches to go, plus button band and collar. And I've just finished the gauge swatch for Sally's Favorite Summer Sweater from the Knit Stitch in a nice blue grey.

When last we heard about the Summer Sweater-along, I was leaning towards Rowan Handknit Cotton in several bright colors, including FLAME orange. In fact, I bought 17 skeins of Flame in Ashland, but I chickened out. Have you got any idea how much acreage you can get out of 17 skeins of Flame. Nope, too scary. Janice suggested trying something a bit smaller, maybe a tank top, in Flame and looking for a more Mary, more muted color for the Summer Sweater. I like this idea a lot! I want that orange in my life, just not that MUCH orange. I swatched up the slip stitch pattern for the Lots of Choices Top in Ms Melville's The Knit Stitch and I believe the Flame has found it's destiny.

On Tuesday night, I visited Knitting Arts to look for a less frightening color. Jen helpfully checked the stock of all colors of Handknit Cotton. I really didn't love any of the colors and was sort of moping around the shop until Michelle pointed out Filatura di Crosa's Mirto. I chose a blue/grey color, #35, and was able to swatch with the other two Summer Sweater-alongers on Wednesday at my work knitting group. I love the results:

sallysfave

I am just loving the fabric - it's drapey, a bit shiny, and slightly mottled with white. And it's right on gauge at 22 sts/4 inches. So I'm all set to start the Summer Sweater knitalong next Wednesday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Glad to hear you had fun with the birds. Your FO's are looking great.

April 29, 2005 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home