Friday, June 08, 2007

Renaming a gift scarf


Scarf
Originally uploaded by spinnity
Is it wrong to give a gift scarf a new name? I mean.. when I got my cat from the Humane Society, I didn't keep the name "Isabella", though it is a cute name. But when it's something the giver made themselves... and named themselves... is it OK to rename it when it gets in your hot little hands? When Janice presented me with the beautiful, just-the-right-colors Burned Macaroni scarf, I hesitated a moment over this point of etiquette before declaring its new name.

Gentlemen, behold! The "Grilled Cheese Sammich Tomato Soup" scarf.

Why the name change? Well, it just happens to be my favorite lunch from childhood and, um, beyond. As a food it really doesn't match the rest of my life. I eat a lot more high-end food these days. I cook mostly from the Moosewood vegetarian cookbooks. I love me some organic produce. I'm even contemplating getting into one of those Community Support Agriculture delivery servcies (Two Small Farms, in case you are interested.) But for a quick meal on a busy day, I still turn to the canned Campbell's tomato soup and good grilled cheese sammich. And Bill makes (and photographs) the best grilled cheese sammiches. Mmmm. Don't you think comfort food tastes even better when someone makes it for you?

The gals at Bobaknit thought you would need to use pumpernickel or rye to get enough brown to match the scarf. Well, have a look. I think the grilled sammich holds its own in the brown department.

I adore these colors and the floofiness of the scarf. I still want to knit one of these myself, but now I am freed to knit it in any color I choose, not a wardrobe-matching color. Many thanks to Janice for the surprise gift, I love it. *mwuh*

6 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

It's definitely not wrong to give a gift scarf a new name, especially when you find a name that suits you (and the scarf) to a "T"! I'm so happy you like it.

June 08, 2007 10:39 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I stand corrected about the need for a dark bread!

I used to get a CSA box from Two Small Farms. I liked it except for the abundance of greens like kale since I am the only one in my house who will eat them. :)

June 08, 2007 4:31 PM  
Blogger hannahbeekuhns said...

i love it that you renamed it mary! :) i can think of many names for it as well!

June 10, 2007 8:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just have to give my vote to Two Small Farms... I'm enjoying the strawberries from the last box as we speak! Plus I can't wait for tomato season to start roaring! :) (And I've made friends with the folks down my street that have bunnies to get rid of the pesky kale...)

June 11, 2007 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the scarf, love the sandwiches & soup! I also love Planet Organics, which is not CSA but delivers good product from organic farms - and good meat, milk, eggs, yogurt, etc.

June 20, 2007 6:46 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

So funny. That is still one of my favorite meals too. I go to Le Boulanger and order the Kids Meal Grilled Cheese and a cup of their tomato soup. Yum!

Beautiful scarf too. (Nice work Janice!)

~ Christina

July 22, 2007 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home