Thursday, June 12, 2008

Spindle-us interruptus


All Blues, sock one
Originally uploaded by spinnity
Hi knitters! In my theater review of "Northanger Abbey", I mentioned the socks I am spinning & knitting for the spouse-o. This project is going in fits & starts - big bursts of energy put into spinning for a day or three, then a flurry of knitting, then a long slow ramp up to making myself spin the next lump.

As you may recall, the first lump of fiber was spun at-and-after Stitches West in February. Fine & dandy. The next big push came in early April, when I had nailed down the stitch pattern & knew what I was spinning for. Then in May, I had a frenzy of spinning in a moment of delusion, thinking I was going to have these socks done for our Sierra birding trip. Well, um, no. We did have a lovely 3 days in the mountains - see Bill's flickr set "Sierra Workshop 2008".

Even after the mountain trip, I kept a bit of momentum going - I was working on this yarn at our May 31 Spin In at my house, which resulted in some rather funny photos and my favorite spinning sentence ever: "Here, Bill, grab this and run!" as my center pull ball collapsed on itself in a big overly twisted knotty mess. Despite moments on the brink, I think I have enough yarn spun to get the second sock just past the heel turn. But the sock project has been languishing in the tote bag for two weeks.

Five spindles worth of sock yarn have so far gone into these socks - I've been knitting each little bunch as I produce it. This is probably going to result in somewhat different yarn in different sections.

I'm packing today for a weekend jaunt to Orlando for my second niece's baptism and I'm thinking... socks! Do I dare take the handspun sock project? I'm guessing I would run out of yarn on my plane ride to Orlando tomorrow, and then what?

So the question before us is: do I take my spindle & fiber to Orlando? Or do I take a second sock project and work on that while I'm away from home & get back to the spindling when I return? Maybe you'd like to vote?

Pros of travel spinning : arms away from the body, no sticky body parts during humid Orlando days. Family will think it's super weird, so that's a plus. 3 yr old niece is likely to enjoy the spectacle. I would love to see these socks finished!

Cons: have to stand up. have to avoid the dog, who might find spinning too exciting. Might not make any progress and every ounce counts these days in airline baggage!

What do you think??


3 Comments:

Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

I say, why the heck not? Plus, the 3-year-old is going to think it's AWESOME. But DO bring another project in case you run out of yarn on the flight or it's too hot to deal with spinning. Personally, I can't knit with anything except cotton, linen, and bamboo right now.

June 12, 2008 2:29 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Well I certainly think spinning will entertain the children - who will certainly want to have a go. However, I have a question: will the yarn be consistent between spinning on a drop spindle and on a wheel? I would have expected a difference...but then I'm not a spinner. I would also take a spare ball of sock wool and a stitch holder in case you run out of wool. I had to make an emergency wool run during my conference last week when I finished the socks on the needles...and you dont want to have to do that...do you?

June 12, 2008 7:02 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

What about choice 3, take both! Seriously, they're small, take both projects and you'll have something to work on if the dog won't leave you alone. What's more important, knitting/spinning, or clothes? ;)

June 12, 2008 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home