Monday, May 16, 2005

Summer-along, week 3

Big bummer of a week 3 for the Sally's Favorite Summer Sweater knitalong at work. We didn't manage to meet on Wednesday, but I did get to see everyone's progress. J. has cast on and knit the first 2 rows, ready to start the sheer section. T. finished her cast on and is ready to knit. I finished the sheer section Tuesday night and ironed it - I'm now working on the opaque part. Isn't the blue lovely?

img_9009

Also Tuesday night I shrank Cotton Candy. Here's a pre-shrinkage picture:

img_8990

I washed it on warm, not hot, for the first wash, and dried it on hot. It looks about the same after shrinkage, almost no change in the shade of the blue yarn. Even better, the blue didn't run into the ecru at all.

But there is trouble. It didn't shrink as much as adverised. Here are the post shrinking measurements:
  • Sleeve length: 38 cm to 35.5 cm - 7% (or 9% on another sleeve measurement)

  • Front button band: 31 cm to 29.5 - 5%

  • Back: 38 cm to 33 cm - 14%

The shrinkage didn't reach 15% on any of these pieces, which doesn't matter so much on this child-size project, but what are we going to do if the 85 cm tall OXO gansey doesn't shrink?? It'll be a gansey for Kareem Abdul Jabbar if it doesn't shrink. (And on the OXO front, I logged 12 cm this weekend, now just 4 cm short of my target of 43 cm before beginning the cables & bits. Spouse-o was very discreet and tried not to notice the progress, so as not to scare me off. Very sensible. He must know me, or something.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Your spouse-o is nothing if not discreet. Sorry I'll miss the gang at meet-up this week, I'm deep into tech rehearsals, missing my knitting!

May 17, 2005 1:11 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

How frustrating that it's not shrinking as expected. I hope you get better results from the one you are knitting for your husband.

I'm sorry I spaced and didn't call you last week (or this week, so far). I have no excuse except that I'm spacey. I would still love to observe the shawl blocking.

May 18, 2005 3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started knitting the same cotton candy cardigan in Rowan denim. I am however not sure about my gauge. What was your gauge and what needles did you use? I use 4 mmm as sugegsted on label but it looks quite loose but have 21 stitches in 10cm instead of 20. Thanks! Kristin

June 10, 2005 5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home